Have you ever experienced waking up in the middle of the night with a bright idea? Hopefully it is something that you remember once you wake up in the morning. And that happened to me, though a little bit delayed.
My legs were aching from walking around in heels for two days and I woke up in the middle of the night, raising my legs up on my headboard. And in that moment, two flavors came into my head, chocolate and cream cheese. With an afterthought, “That must taste gooooood!” And then I fell right back to sleep.
The next day, I went on my merry way, cooking lunch, when it hit me, chocolate and cream cheese. In my head, it didn’t sound so good. But hey, my dreams may be saying something (it’s like dreaming of numbers and not betting those numbers in the lottery and regretting it :P) that I didn’ tknow. So I looked online, found recipes, and baked.
So I baked, impatiently as I always do. And mygaaaawd. These are really good cupcakes. Like Vanilla Cupcakes level on the taste, but obviously homemade with the design. Who whould have thought that cream cheese and chocolate would work together. (It was only when I googled another recipe to make that I realize that this is an old combination and I have seen this and most probably made it as well in the guise of the brownie cheesecake :P)
This successful recipe is making me think. But I feel that it might be a little too late to join that bandwagon. I’ll call them either “Cake Cups” or “Happy Cakes” 🙂
Recipes are copy-pasted from their original sources. 🙂
Cake Recipe Barefoot Contessa at home
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold buttermilk, shaken
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed good quality hot coffee
- 12 cupcake liners
Mix the following ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Mix milk, oil, eggs, vanilla. Mix Dry and wet. Add coffee 🙂 Portion over 12 cupcake molds 🙂 Bake for 20 minutes.
For the chocolate cream-cheese icing:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar (You can decrease this amount if you don’t care about it being as stiff for piping)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Mix in cocoa powder.